Sunday, December 27, 2015

Porcini Infused Mustard

I love mustard and I love Porcini Mushrooms. What a great combo. But could I actually make mustard from mushrooms? I decided to give it a shot. All in all it was easy to do but with all creations it's a work in progress. I am not following a recipe which makes this fun and interesting. Add a little of this, a little of that and voilá you have a new recipe. Mustard is a little harder to create from scratch because you really don't know how it's going to taste for a couple of weeks. 





There is nothing complicated about this recipe other than combining ingredients and waiting. 



It may not look like it but here lies 3 oz of porcini mushrooms.











 I posted this picture to point out that specificity is important. This is exactly 2 grams of pepper corns.  




To a pot add the mushrooms, Wine, bay leaf, onions garlic and peppercorns. Simmer covered for 40 minutes than let rest for about 2 hours off the burner.  


After the elapsed time this is what it looks like.




 


Place a sieve lined with cheesecloth (butter-muslin is my favorite) over a pot and toss in mushroom concoction. 







Squeezed like no tomorrow. 









To this liquid bath of infused mushrooms I added the mustard seeds. I was not looking for a strong pungent mustard so I made sure the liquid was not cold but room temperature. I soaked the mustard seeds for two days at room temp which will create a less pungent mustard. After two days I tossed everything into a blender and added Balsamic Vinegar, Agave, more wine, mustard powder and salt. I processed until a desired texture was reached which of course is different for everyone. I refrigerated the mixture and tasted it after about 3 days. After three days I didn't like it at all. I waited another 3 days and low and behold the flavors started to improve. After about 8 days it really started tasting good. After about 2 weeks all the flavors started coming together. 


When it finally emerged from the refrigerator (14 days later) the mustard seeds had absorbed too much of the liquid so I adjusted the consistency with a little water. I also added a pinch of salt. It definitely need just a pinch more salt. That's the thing with mustard.... it requires time and patience





Review- It came good but not fantastic. I wanted more porcini flavor. I already have ideas on how I can tweak it to give it a more pronounced flavor. 

1. Add dried Porcini powder
2. Use water instead of wine





No comments:

Post a Comment