Saturday, November 14, 2015

Gingerbread Stout Mustard


It was a serendipitous moment while shopping at Costco. I was scoping out availability of fresh Turkeys because the day is soon upon us and I was looking for a Stout Beer to make mustard. Talk about a kizmit and perfect pairing. Thanksgiving and Gingerbread Stout Mustard.....Oy. 



Assemble your ingredients. Everyone has a different take on the best way to make mustard and they're all good. This is my method. I will talk about some other ones below. In fact I need to do a side by side comparison using different approaches to capture the nuances of each technique. 
Mustard seeds measure out. If you notice in all my posts I use weight instead of volume. I find using weight is far more precise than volume and it make it easier to replicate a recipe. To the mustard seeds add the 250 grams of Stout and mix and cover. Refrigerate until seeds can be broken between your fingers. Some people only wait a day. I like waiting three days. I have tried 24 and I find the seeds aren't soft enough for my liking. 




Three days have passed. Toss mustard mixture and remaining ingredients in blender and process to desired consistency.

This is what it looked like after a spin in the vitamix.

All done!!! Taste it I dare you. It doesn't taste all that great. After four days it will be great. Just be patient. 

How to process? I personally put the mustard in clean sterilized jars and refrigerate. Some people will hot pack. They heat the mustard up to about 180˚ƒ and place in hot sterilized jars and invert creating a vacuum and place in refrigerator or on shelf. My PH meter reader broke so I don't know the PH of the mustard (needs to below 4.6). The absolute proven processing technique is to hot pack and process on stove using the Hot Water bath Method. 





Note: Some people like adding the vinegar and other liquids right up front. I like to add the vinegar at the end. When you add the the vinegar in the beginning it will make a milder mustard. The temp plays a role too. Everything is a chemical reaction. Again, I need to do a side by side comparison. 

The Pungency of Mustard is always reduced by heating.
















No comments:

Post a Comment