Monday, July 16, 2018

Doshers GGG Fermented Carrots

Nothing to crazy about this fermented veggie. I was in the mood for some fermented carrots. I went with organic carrots of course. I think it’s important to point out that I did not peel them. Peeling them defeats or diminishes the fermentation process in my opinion (and Sandor Katz). I used cold water and a mushroom brush to clean. They were sliced into carrot sticks.

In this recipe I kept it simple. Crushed garlic, sliced up ginger and nice large green onions slices shoved into the jar with the carrots sticks. As you can tell I measured out everything. I’m going to make again and I would like to replicate or modify and contrast the flavors. 

In this fermentation I used a 2.5% brine. Note: I used filtered water using ZERO water and Redmond Salt. How do you compute 2.5%? If you needed at 1000 ml liters of water you would simply multiply 1000 x 2.5% or .025 = 25 grams of salt needed. I would suggest dissolving salt in hot water first than making sure the brine is cooled before combing everything. I make ZERO water Ice-Cubes so cooking is not an issue. Probably going to let this sit out for 6-9 days in my ice cold kitchen. My A/C is running and I keep my house very cold (58-60 f ). 



Well, I could not resist….it’s been 6 days exactly. I noticed the Co2 has diminished a bit so I wanted to check on the carrots. Look at that cloudy beautiful brine. Notice how everything is submerged. 


First thing I did was check the Ph….. Damn that’s a good PH for pickled carrots IMO (always shooting for a number below 4.6). Anything below a 4.6 ph is considered acidified. So far so good. 
Review- All done at 6 days at a house temp of 60 f degrees. Don’t forget if my house was warmer the fermentation process would have been faster. Dang they were good!!! Crunchy with the right amount of sourness. You might think that the low of a pH wold result in a very sour pickles but you would be incorrect. They were just about perfect IMO. Ok….. very very garlicky but I loved that. You could taste the onion too. You could not taste the ginger so next time I will up the ginger and cut back on the garlic just a bit. I also thought they could be just a little sweeter too.


Thoughts…………..

  • Make a ginger carrots only
  • Garlic and onion 
  • Adding a ripened apple?
  • Adding dill? 

For those of you that have pickled before you need to try fermentation. Only on rare occasions will I used vinegar again or for quick pickling. 



Note: Once your fermentation has hit its sweet spot and you are satisfied you must refrigerate to stop the fermentation process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment